$3.53 Million Award For Imported Butane Stove Explosion Death

Our client was the widow of a Korean man who with her had operated a corner grocery store in Chicago. The couple used a small, portable butane stove for heat and cooking in their store and at their home. One summer, our client's husband was using the stove in his backyard when the butane canister exploded causing a massive fireball, inflicting substantial burns, permanent injuries and a coma that all led to his death. On behalf of the estate, we sued in Cook County the U.S. importers/distributors and the Korean manufacturers of both the stove and the butane container, demonstrating that inadequate design, lack of safety features and inadequate warnings all contributed to the explosion. The result was $3.53 million in compensation.

$3.53 Million

K. v Chicago Food Corporation, et al.