Francis P. Morrissey
Frank Morrissey is a trial lawyer with a national reputation as a tenacious and highly successful personal injury and medical malpractice attorney who has won multimillion dollar awards for his clients.
Not intimidated by deep pocket defendants, Frank has taken on such formidable foes as pharma giant Johnson & Johnson, and locally, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Loyola University Medical Center, Advocate Health and Hospitals, Lurie Children’s Hospital and Presence Health and Hospitals. From Florida to New York to Pennsylvania and back to Chicago, Frank has demonstrated a sophisticated knowledge of case law and won the respect of local judges and opposition attorneys alike as a stalwart litigator for his clients.
With his Irish wit and down-to-earth manner, Frank has charmed numerous juries in high-stakes lawsuits. Most recently achieving a $9.7 million verdict in federal court involving complications from gastric bypass weight loss surgery. Frank also settled a birth injury case for $10.9 million.
Frank was first selected by his professional peers as an Illinois Super Lawyer in 2005 and has been so chosen every year since 2009. His selection as an Illinois Leading Lawyer reflects his ranking among the top five percent of all personal injury lawyers in Illinois.
Such honors demonstrate the pattern he established early in his career. As a young lawyer in 2003, he was named one of the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin’s “40 Under 40” Illinois attorneys under the age of 40 whose early success portended future courtroom stardom.
As a result of his extensive experience in medical malpractice cases, Frank has been chosen to be a contributing author to Chapter 10 (“Fact Discovery”), published in Medical Malpractice 2011 Edition and 2013 and 2018 Supplements produced by the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (IICLE®). Frank is also an officer and secretary of the prestigious Illinois Society of Trial Lawyers, a member of the American Board of Trial Lawyers, and an officer and vice-president of the Celtic Lawyers Association.
Areas Of Practice
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- College of the Holy Cross, Massachusetts
- Contributing author, Chapter 10 (“Fact Discovery”), Medical Malpractice 2011 Edition and (2013 and 2018, Supplements), Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (IICLE®)
- $10.9 Million for a boy injured at birth
- $9.7 Million for a woman injured after complications after bariatric weight-loss surgery; no offer before trial
- $6.0 Million for a girl who suffered permanent injuries after a severe asthma attack
- $3.5 Million for a teenager who suffered a cardiac arrest while he was admitted to the hospital
- $2.0 Million for a man who suffered a cardiac arrest from an undiagnosed aortic dissection
- $1.9 Million for a woman who bleed to death from an undiagnosed abdominal mass
- $8.8 Million for an iron worker who suffered an ankle injury on a construction site
- $3.28 Million for a boilermaker injured on a construction site
Honors and Awards
- Illinois Super Lawyers (personal injury plaintiffs for medical malpractice and product liability)
- Illinois Leading Lawyers (personal injury law, general and malpractice)
- Illinois Society of Trial Lawyers, President
- Celtic Lawyers Association, President - Elect
- Irish Legal 100
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- American Board of Trial Lawyers