Robert J. Bingle
Over his 37 year career Robert J. Bingle has been involved in every type of personal injury or wrongful death case and has obtained numerous multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements for his clients. In 2021, he acquired $90 million dollars for an injured worker which is the largest award in Illinois history for a disputed liability pre-trial settlement.
Other notable results include:
- December 2020 - Largest settlement for a contested liability case in Illinois - $90,000,000 for a work injury case
- $22.5 million settlement for the family of a Rockford woman killed in a train derailment.
- Lead plaintiff's counsel for litigation stemming from the collision of a train and school bus in Fox River Grove, Illinois, which settled in excess of $25 million.
- One of the lead attorneys in a $10 million settlement stemming from a collision at a Union Pacific rail yard that resulted in the death of three men.
- Lead trial attorney in the litigation stemming from the Quantum Chemical explosion which settled for more than $20 million.
- $6.6 million verdict awarded to a family injured in an automobile collision.
- Railroad negligence case resulting in a $6.8 million verdict, the highest amount ever awarded at the time in Illinois to an individual for the loss of his leg.
- $18 million settlement for the family of a Mexican national who was killed by a piece of falling glass from Chicago's CNA Tower.
- $4.5 million settlement for a young man burned at a chemical refinery.
- $3.9 million verdict for the family of a 10-year-old girl who drowned at a municipal water station.
In addition to his trial work, Bob is active in bar association work. He is a past President of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association (ITLA) and is now on its Board of Managers. He served as a Chairman of ITLA's Membership and Legal Education Committees and Co-Chairman of its Legislative Committee. By appointment of the Illinois Supreme Court, Bob served from 2004-2014 on the Illinois Supreme Court Committee on Jury Instructions in Civil Cases. He also served as a member of the Illinois Supreme Court Character and Fitness Committee.
Bob has also been a faculty member at the National Institute for Trial Advocacy and a member of the Loyola University of Chicago School of Law Alumni Board of Governors.
He lectures extensively throughout the United States at bar association and interest group seminars and has published chapters and articles in legal books, periodicals and newspapers. He is frequently called upon by the media to comment on legal issues involving civil litigation and has appeared nationally and locally on television and radio news broadcasts and news talk programs.
A member of the Leading Lawyers Network, the top 5% of all Illinois attorneys, Bob is also an Illinois Super-Lawyer and has attained an AV rating - the highest level awarded for professional excellence - from the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory.
Areas Of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Automobile and Railroad Collisions
- Federal Employers’ Liability Act
- Aviation Litigation
- Construction Accidents
- Medical Devices
- Medical Malpractice
- Wrongful Death
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Illinois, 1982
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1983
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 2004
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado, 2005
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D. - 1981
- University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
- M.A. - 1975
- University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana
- B.A. - 1973
- The Trial Attorney’s Guide to Representing Undocumented Clients, Trial Journal, Volume 16, Number 1, 2014
- A Continuing Conundrum: The Elusive Definition of Discretionary Acts, Trial Journal, Volume 9, Number 1, 2007
- When Can the Government Be Sued Under the Illinois Tort Immunity Act?, Trial Journal, June, 1999
- Winning the Verdict With Videos and Virtual Reality, The National Law Journal, June, 1998
- Faculty, National Institute for Trial Advocacy
Honors and Awards
- 2021 Illinois Super Lawyers list
- Irish Legal 100
- 2020 Illinois Super Lawyers list
- 2019 Illinois Super Lawyers list
- 2018 Illinois Super Lawyers list
- 2017 Illinois Super Lawyers list
- 2016 Illinois Super Lawyers list
- 2015 Illinois Super Lawyers list
- 2014 Illinois Super Lawyers list
- 2013 Illinois Super Lawyers list
- 2012 Illinois Super Lawyers list
- 2011 Illinois Super Lawyers list
- 2010 Illinois Super Lawyers list
- 2009 Illinois Super Lawyers list
- 2008 Illinois Super Lawyers list
- 2007 superlawyers.com Super Lawyers list
- 2006 superlawyers.com Super Lawyers list
- 2005 superlawyers.com Super Lawyers list
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, President
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Managers, Executive Committee
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Railroad Law Section, Member
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Grade Crossing Section, Member
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Co-Chair, Legislative Committee
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Chairman, Membership Committee
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Chairman, Legal Education Committee
- Golden Gavels Award for CARPLS, Co-Chairman
- Golden Gavels Award for CARPLS, Member, Board of Directors
- Illinois Supreme Court, Appointed, Committee on Character and Fitness
- Loyola University, Chicago School of Law Alumni Board, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Hilton Hotels Corp., Sales & Marketing Director
- Loyola University of Chicago
- School of Law Alumni Board of Governors
- Board of Trustees, Christ the King Jesuit Preparatory School, Chicago, Illinois
- Board of Trustees, Fenwick High School, Oak Park, Illinois
- Board of Directors, Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Metropolitan Chicago
- Board of Directors, CARPLS Legal Aid, Chicago, Illinois
- St. Isaac Jogues School Board, Hinsdale, Illinois