Samantha N. LaFata
Samantha N. LaFata is a Partner at Wise Morrissey. She concentrates her practice on medical malpractice, wrongful death and personal injury cases.
Ms. LaFata's experience is distinctive. Prior to joining the firm, she was a partner at a preeminent defense firm in Chicago where she represented physicians, nurses, and hospitals for almost 14 years. Her litigation experience is impressive, with a near perfect trial record involving cases with catastrophic injuries. This background with deep knowledge of the healthcare industry gives Ms. LaFata a competitive edge to anticipate the other party's strategy, and the ability to maximize our clients' results.
Ms. LaFata's accomplishments continue to be recognized. In 2018, she was named as one of the elite "40 Under 40" Top Attorneys to Watch in Illinois by the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin. In 2020, Ms. LaFata was picked by her peers as an Emerging Lawyer by Leading Lawyers Magazine for Medical Malpractice work, an honor she also received in 2018, 2016 and 2015. In 2017, she was chosen as a "Rising Star" attorney by Thompson Reuters. In addition, Ms. LaFata is regularly asked to speak in the Chicago area on litigation topics, including as a panelist for the Chicago Bar Association's "Trial Tips" panel in September 2019.
In law school, Ms. LaFata interned at the Chief State Solicitor's Office of the Attorney General in Dublin, Ireland. Prior to moving abroad, she won and placed at national mock trial competitions for John Marshall Law School's national mock trial team.
Separate from legal pursuits, Ms. LaFata enjoys spending time with her young daughter and rescue dog. She also coached Loyola University School of Law's national mock trial team.
Areas Of Practice
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Illinois, 2007
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- The John Marshall Law School, Chicago, Illinois
- University College Dublin, Chief State Solicitor’s Office, Dublin, Ireland, 2006-2007
- Loyola University Chicago
Honors and Awards
- "40 under 40” Top Attorney to Watch in Illinois 2018 by Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
- Rising Star Super Lawyers, by Thompson Reuters
- Emerging Lawyers, by Leading Lawyers Magazine for Medical Malpractice, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Chicago Bar Association
- The Society of Trial Lawyers
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice
- Women's Bar Association of Illinois